1/15/07

Day One at Ground Zero

It was an eventful weekend as Jamie and I traveled to and from Kansas City, MO from our Nicollet County homes in just over 45 hours. We left at 5 am on Friday for Alpha Gamma Rho Recruitment School, arrived noon Friday, and drove back starting at 7 pm on Saturday, making it home through an ice storm by 2 am Sunday, not advised, but here's what your car might look like if you do.
I arrived at MSP to find that we had been delayed "an hour and a half" by weather. This moved my departure time from 2:50 to 4:10, disappointing but manageable. One shutdown airport and a frozen valve later, I landed at Dulles five hours after I had originally expected at 1:00 am Eastern. The shutdown airport was New York's JFK, which has 0.0 visibility for four hours because of the fog. After we were finally boarded, we had to switch planes because one of the valves froze up because it was snowing so hard in Minneapolis. When we finally did take off at 8:00 pm (with 8:05 being our estimated time of arrival at Dulles) the flight went very smoothly and everything went as planned. Unfortunately, because I was so late the $13 bus I was going to take turned into a $60 taxi cab ride, but its over now, and I'm here and I like it.
My new landlord, Bill, was nice enough to wake up and meet me to let me in. He was very understanding and showed my my place, which is pretty nice for what I am paying, and I put everything away and went to bed. This is the beginning of my D.C. blogging, and hopefully not the end. I am going exploring today, camera in hand, and we will see what I find.

No comments: