1/22/07

Slow day after Snow day

From a legislative standpoint, the office was quite stoic. I spent all morning making labels and like most staff, avoiding going outside. Leaving the building today would have meant spending at least 30 minutes trying to get back in as the 34th anniversary of Roe v. Wade again brought abortion opponents to Capitol Hill. Middle schoolers wore t-shirts and hats representing everyone from St. Abraham to St. Zacharia, and places as close as D.C. and as far away as St. Louis. This afternoon we prepared for the first full Committee meeting (which will be held tomorrow) in one of our rooms. It is called the organizational meeting as they set the Rules for the session, which meant copying the 36 page document for 150 people, including the 46 Members, staff, press, and public who are assumed to be in the room. I also had many other minor projects like calling to find out who the Agriculture Legislative Analysts (LAs) were from each office, and doing the final editing and proofreading of a press release that will come out tomorrow.. I kept plugging away at making labels in the afternoon as the school children marched down the streets and in our basements.

I was a true secretary today and have little to report. I could always get into the positives and negatives of abortion, but luckily I am just an intern, so I do not have to take a stand. I am not sure if all the southern states' staff made it in because of the light layer of snow, as besides the Catholic kids, the halls were very empty.

My big news for the day was that I was invited to take a tour of the White House some time in the upcoming weeks, so I had to submit all my information to do a background check.

It was an enjoyable day, but nothing to blog about.

No comments: