2/8/07

Not a Teenager Anymore

From 9:00 to 10:30, nothing, nothing to do, no mail to sort, and no projects to start. From 10:30 on, we were moving. It started off with a meeting to plan a meeting, then we got ready for the meeting, which was complex because there was so much going on around the meeting that wasn’t part of the meeting at all. Luckily, that meeting was Gabe’s job, because I didn’t understand it, nor did I want to. I had bigger fish in the sea, I was to sit in on the Appropriations Committee Subcommittee on Agriculture hearing, which the Agriculture had joint referral on, and take notes like a mad man. Unfortunately the laptops computers were not being issued at this time, so this meant back to good old pen and paper, something I rarely use, and my penmanship shows it. But two hours later, the hearing should have been done, and I was keeping up, but getting exhausted. We were saved by the bell when we heard buzzers ringing and pagers going off announcing a 15 minute vote, followed by ten 2 minute votes. This projected 45 minutes of voting turned into two hours. Needless to say, I did not make it back and would be surprised if the Members did either. So when I got back, I did the jobs I should have been doing during the hearing, and started typing everything I had written. When it was about 7:00, I finished that and began summarizing the submitted testimony. Now by this point, neither Gabe nor I had time for lunch, and I didn’t have time for breakfast, which I will get into in a minute. So when asked if we wanted to move furniture tonight or tomorrow morning, we decided to finish it up tonight and lump all the business into one day. I made it home by 7:55 PM, my latest night yet. But I’m sure it’s not the latest I’ll ever be.

This morning and last night were a different story. As I said yesterday, I fell asleep after I got home, and woke up at midnight. I now remember before I went to be the first time, getting a little shock when I picked up my phone, and one of the buttons not working. Well I found out this morning it wasn’t just a button, it was my ringer. I now cannot receive any calls, and the convenient alarms I use were MIA as well. So, I finally fell back asleep at about 4:00 AM, even though I tried for hours before that, and woke up again to see 9:05 on my alarm clock. Not the best sight to see when you should be to work by 9:00 AM. But, I made good progress with getting ready (and my hair froze straight up on my run to the office) and got to work by 9:40. Luckily my phone can still call out, so they knew I was going to be late. I guess this is what being 20 is all about. Now that I’m no longer a teenager I have to face the battle of just getting out of bed in the morning. I got a lot of great stuff for my birthday, but to be honest, a new phone wasn’t on my list.

Tomorrow Gabe and I will be taking an orientation class so we can have access to the Congressional Research Service’s (CRS) information, which will hopefully speed up a lot of projects. The CRS class would sound like a great way to get out of work, but this is: 1. A class, and 2. A class put on by people who research. 3. Research for Congress! …it might be a long day.

No comments: