4/24/07

Secrets and Whispers

I am able to reveal one of yesterday's "big secrets", which is not really that big (as I explained already), and no longer a secret. The project I was working on was simply summarizing some points about wind energy, as the Chairman testified in front of the Ways and Means Committee about farmers (or rural landowners or whomever) getting a tax credit of $25,000 for building a windmill (or wind turbine), which costs upwards of $40,000-80,000 for a smaller one, up to $2 million for the most economically efficient (the ones used at big wind farms). Although our staff had given him a one page testimonial to read from, Mr. Peterson usually chooses not to, and this was the case today. As he was giving his explanation he rattled off an exact sentence that I had written for him, about how much can be expected for renting land for this use (about $4000). I was only halfway listening and looking around the huge Ways and Means Committee room (which, by the way, is held as one of the top committees to be on in the House, as it deals with a lot of taxes and therefore income, or lack thereof) and the staffer who gave me the project leaned over and whispered, wow, he read your sheet.

The other big stories for the day were our subcommittee hearing for Milk Marketing Orders (I watched the door, but read every single piece of testimony in that time), me being legally taken out to lunch (and no, I'm not saying I have illegally been taken out to lunch in the past) by employees of the University of Minnesota (because state colleges and university's are exempt), and the fire drill that took place after our subcommittee hearing but before we needed to testify before Ways and Means. All in all, another good day.

No comments: