3/12/07

Major Changes

Today was more of the same. Although I sound like I am bored and things are getting more and more stoic each day, I think its just part of the process with most internships, or starting any new job for that matter. I've gone over that initial hump of excitement, and the great things I experienced in the beginning are still happening, but I've begun to take them for granted. So, I tried to spice things up a little bit this week, by making some events to look forward to. I started planning a trip home some time around Easter, am thinking hard about changing my major (not just because nothing is going on at work), and set up lunch with my intern coordinator at the end of the week.

Because of the lull during our break periods (when we are not in session) my little vacation home looks like it's good to go. I am going to spend a little more money this time for a direct flight, because after last time, it's worth it.
My major change is also probably going to happen. I just look forward to animal science classes and briefings out here, more so than other parts of agriculture.
When I talked to our intern coordinator, he was up for lunch with the two interns, and then offered something even better. While we will still be having lunch, but he wanted to set up some meetings with NGOs (Non-Governmental Organizations) to talk to them about what they do, and how the people got to where they are, and what they want for the future (if you are part of one, and interested, shoot me an email). This will probably be one of the biggest reasons on whether or not we return to Washington, D.C. in my opinion, and I am really happy he is willing to try to set this up.

Late this afternoon, we set up for our Department Operations, Oversight, Nutrition and Forestry Subcommittee hearing which will be held tomorrow about Food Stamps. The nice thing about this subcommittee is that there will be enough room for all the members to comfortably sit in front of the room (there are only 11). I do not yet know whether people will be lining up early or not, but hopefully I don't have to explain the concepts of fire code or blocked viewing or I am an intern and would let you in if I could.

No comments: